THE POSITIVE MESSAGE OF NEW AMERICAN ART AND LITERATURE

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Motivations

The only tool status quo apologists seem to be able to use in debate is to question my motivations-- that I'm not real, just out for myself, a "poseur," egomaniac, etc.

I've hardly benefitted by waging this campaign-- I live on the margins-- but, like other undergrounders, I believe in what I'm doing. I've stepped back as much as I could to avoid dominating the movement-- was never the headliner (often not mentioned on the flyers) at any of the shows I promoted, for instance, and didn't ask to be included in the list of ULA Press books. Even when I opt NOT to be in a collection, so as to not appear self-serving, it's not good enough, as has been observed.

(Of course, many of those questioning my motivations remain anonymous, so we can never check out their own.)

No comments: