THE POSITIVE MESSAGE OF NEW AMERICAN ART AND LITERATURE

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Why "Pop"?

Obviously, I'm rebranding myself and my ideas. I'm also branding the new kind of fiction several of us have talked about.

Why am I using the word "pop"?

The word is easily understandable. "Pop Lit" conveys the nature of the art in two words. It's also inocuous. For myself it represents a tactical shift away from "literary rebellion," which many people ultimately found too dangerous.

Pop signals fun. For my uses it has three connotations beyond itself. (To be effective a brand needs resonance beyond itself.)
1.) Pop songs, which I see epitimized by the Beatles (or even 80's New Wave and Brit-Pop) more than the overproduced pop of now.
2.) The word populist.
3.) Pop art.

With any attempt to displace "literary" writing, those with a vested interest in the status quo will attempt to label all alternatives as "bad writing." The defense against this is to tie pop lit to art. Lit as art.

Finally, "pop" creates a broader category than other possibilities like "pulp" or "noir."

No comments: